Mississippi recently legalized medical marijuana, joining a growing list of states that have taken a similar path. Patients with qualifying medical conditions can now access medical cannabis from licensed dispensaries within the state.
To ensure the secure and safe transportation of medical cannabis from licensed growers and processors to licensed dispensaries, Mississippi has established regulations for medical cannabis transportation entities. These are commercial businesses licensed to transport medical cannabis.
Licensure requirements for cannabis transportation entities
An aspiring business owner must submit an application to the Mississippi Department of Health to obtain a license to operate as a medical cannabis transportation entity in Mississippi.
The application must include the following:
- A detailed physical description of the business, such as its location, a map of the premises and a scaled sketch of the floorplan.
- An operating plan that outlines how the business will operate, from the hiring process and record keeping to hours of operation and the security measures in place.
- Proof of compliance with any existing zoning restrictions or local legal requirements.
- The details of anyone with a commercial interest in the business.
- Fingerprint data for everyone with a stake in the entity (for criminal background checks).
Any other information the Department of Health may deem necessary should also be included.
It is worth noting that you will not get a lifetime license even after fulfilling these and other requirements. The law requires you to renew it periodically, usually after one year. In addition, the license can be revoked or suspended for various reasons like outstanding fines to the Department of Health or a conviction of certain felonies.
Protect your business from legal and financial risks
To make the most out of your investment, it helps to seek informed guidance when setting up shop to ensure legal compliance. That way, you will solely focus on the business end of things without worrying about getting in trouble with the law.